Monday, October 27, 2008

DROP, CURVE, FORMAT!

..yeah thats what i was screaming. when the professor turned the floor over to us, i saw the reactions on many people's faces that this would be an impossible task. so i sat there thinking of the simplest solution. the talk of averaging this score with that score and taking a tenth of that test and adding in this extra credit with my 3rd test and subtracting my first score from the second to divide by the whole to equal my final grade was getting out of hand. so amongst my usual surrounding buddies i said i wanted the curve and to drop the lowest grade, one of us overheard that another side of the room was thinking the same solution so i screamed "drop, curve, format" and then we kept running with it..

i supposed the category that i fell into was the collaborating group. my intial choice would have been to get up there and handle it myself, but i sat back this time. i did not completely withdraw myself from the action, but i knew that what i wanted was heard and it was up to the class to continue to support that idea, which was not only mine.

what would have been better for the class as a whole would have been to compromise, to see each other all as equals. the time limit was a huge pressure on everyone and the few people that refused to push their stubborness away were holding us back from coming to a conclusion faster. i'm content with the end result, but next time we need a woman leader ;] hahah

3 comments:

Rachel Liang said...

LOL, I was one of those people that heard you scream "Drop, Curve, Format!" I thought to myself hmmmm... those sound like great ideas! Like you I also fell in the collaborating category. I knew it was not an option for me to just sit back and not try to get the best out of the proposal. So I tried my best to get let the leaders know my opinions. At the end I was quite satisfied we all got the "Drop, Curve, Format!" that we had asked for =). As for the female leader I absolutely agree!

Sisteren said...

About the female leader, let's not go as far as Alaska to get her!!!

Larisa said...

I definitely agree with you that there should've been a female leader. The whole time all those guys were "running the show" I was thinking that it would be a big topic of discussion the next class...but I guess no one noticed it as much as we had.