Wednesday, December 3, 2008

having it my way.. at McDonalds?

Who knew you could “have it your way” at McDonalds! Maybe they should steal Burger King’s slogan. The unusual order called for an unusual reaction, and that is what I received from McDonalds’ employees in Staten Island. Despite the long wait and gripe from the fry cook, I got what I needed.
When I placed the order of a cheeseburger with four pickles and a small order of fries with no salt, I made sure to speak slowly and heavily stress the word four. I even held up four fingers. She looked at me like I was stupid, but I just smiled. She told me that there was no way to indicate four exact pickles, before I spoke back a manger came over (and I assumed it was a manger because of her different shirt). The manager said to her employee to just press this button four times and just like that my order was placed. She handed me my receipt and the time stamp on it was 8:03PM. I stood back and watched as the process unfolded.
I wondered where the unsalted fries would be placed because I only saw one area for fries. People who had placed bigger orders after me were getting their food before me. The fries they were getting were coming from the designated heating bed. After the heating bed was empty I saw a man dump fresh fries from the fryer and he quickly made one small order of fries and placed in on the side. Then he added salt to the remaining fries. I immediately knew that that would be my order of fries. That process had only taken one person. I continued to wait for the burger to come out, but I had heard someone in the back say “How many pickles does this person want?!” The manager that had assisted my order before said “FOUR!” At 8:14PM my order was in my hands, and when I opened the burger it was correct! It had taken a total of four people to complete my order and although not all of them were as obliging as they should be, they got the job done.
The staff didn’t give me outstanding service, however the manager did. She fulfills the role of delivering proper customer service where the other employees lacked. The communication from the person who prepared my burger to the employees in the front served very useful in my order. The person who made the fries was very coordinated in his actions. The fresh fries did not get salted, but were easily packaged before the rest.
If I were to help McDonalds to improve their efficiency, I would recommend that they have the ability to type in numerically details of how thing should be made. Four pickles may be an odd request, but three slices of cheese or two pieces of meat is more practical and should be accommodated to. Without that ability, employees should be able to communicate easier with the people who prepare the food. They should be able to interact more and make the process seem less rigid. So by improving special and unusual orders more customers will be satisfied and they can “have it their way”.

No comments: